Salt Lake Community College Begins Search for New President
Last month, TechBuzz News reported on Dr. Deneece Huftalin's retirement announcement. Dr. Huftalin has been serving as president of Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) for ten years. As of her June retirement date, she will have been one of the longest serving female presidents in the Utah’s System of Higher Education (USHE).
As part of its delegated duties and responsibilities, the Salt Lake Community College Board of Trustees has formed a committee to conduct a national search for the next president of SLCC.
SLCC is working with AGB Search, a national search firm, to establish a position announcement and call for nominations and applications.
Brady Southwick, chair of SLCC’s Board of Trustees, will co-lead the presidential search committee with Sharon Eubank from the Utah Board of Higher Education. The committee is comprised of representatives from the Utah Board of Higher Education and SLCC trustees, faculty, staff, students, administration, and alumni as well as a community representative.
“I’m confident with our search committee and stakeholders, that we will find someone with the higher education expertise and vision to lead Salt Lake Community College,” said Brady Southwick, SLCC Board of Trustees Chair. “We just celebrated our 75th anniversary, opened a new campus in Herriman, and saw a big jump in new enrollment. It is good timing for us to identify new leadership that can step in and guide the college into the future.
The 11-member search committee consists of:
SLCC Board of Trustees
- Brady Southwick, Chair
- Lori Chillingworth, Vice Chair
Utah Board of Higher Education
- Sharon Eubank
- Tina Marriott Larson
SLCC Faculty, Staff, and Administration
- Tim Sheehan, Vice President, Government and Community Relations
- Robert Pettitt, Dean, School of Health Sciences
- Gabe Byars, Faculty Senate President
- Brandi Mair, Staff President
- Joyce Wambuyi, Student Body President
- Shawn Newell, Alumni Representative & Emeritus Trustee
- Ross Romero, CEO of Inclusion Strategies, Former Utah State Senator
In January, the search committee will hold three open meetings to gather public input:
- January 9, 2024, 6– 7 p.m., South City Campus, Multipurpose Room
- January 10, 2024, 11 a.m.– noon, Taylorsville Redwood Campus, Student Center Building, Oak Room
- January 11, 2024, 1–3 p.m., Jordan Campus, Student Center, Multipurpose Room
Once a list of finalists is established, the presidential search committee will involve key Utah stakeholders in the interviewing process. The final step will be to send the list of finalists to the Utah Board of Higher Education for consideration as the next president of SLCC.